Monday, November 30, 2009

Chicago Team Always a Blessing!

Gary went to Port on Saturday, while Carol Horrigan, Barb Macloed and I went to Montrouis to teach Bible school. When teams arrive, Gary and I must split our duties and guess what? I got the best end of the deal. I won't go into Port au Prince travel "blog mode" I'll spare you, but……we had been to Port on Tuesday and didn't get home until Wednesday of last week. Maybe I will tell you about that.

We received an unexpected gift for a new vehicle, the truck broke down, the team was coming so we rushed to Port to purchase something. Our good friend Johnnie Cavo and wife Claudette were nice enough to take us and stay with us until we had a van. That took all day! We still needed to buy groceries, so in our new Hyaundai van, to the grocery store we went. It was getting dark and the later it got the more convinced we were that going home that night wasn't wisdom, so we stayed in a guest house. This would mark the second time we've had to stay overnight due to a trip to Port without anything, no toothbrush, comb, pj's, clean clothes….not fun to wear the same thing two days without showering. My next trip to Port will be with an overnight bag!

We had a glorious time of praise and worship at Bible school which convinced me even more of getting the "best end of the deal." After Bible school, I took the ladies back to St Marc and while they joined with Al, Bev, Dan and Nancy at a restaurant for lunch, I packed a few things to leave for the resort where the team would be staying as we planned to stay a couple of nights with them. Driving alone to the Xuargua was an experience, something I'd never done before. It's taking us over a half hour to get out of St Marc, due to the terrible road conditions and a detour since they are putting in a new bridge. I started out at 4:00PM, it gets dark at 5:30. It was a long trip for some reason and I couldn't have been going more than 20 miles! At one point, I noticed a road block ahead with CIMO's, who are the highest government police. OH NO! I didn't begin to pray, I'd been praying but did say, "Lord, please, let them wave me on." They did. Had I been stopped, I could not have pulled out a license because it was at home. I drive so seldom, it's not a thought to have it with me. Whew! Got through that one, thank you Jesus!

When I got to the entrance of the Xuargua, Gary was standing there waiting. As nightfall approached, he was concerned as to my welfare. You don't want to be on these highways at night! It was great seeing the team. They were excited, but very tired. One suitcase didn't make it and it was the one with all the chocolate!!!! We did find out later it is at the airport. Gary and Peggy Phaby, will go there today and the rest of the team will go to St Marc. I thought they'd want the day off to swim since they won't have another, but they all want to work….just the kind of team I like!!!

Yesterday morning was fun as we split so we could minister in two churches. Brush arbor, but both churches were filled with the spirit of the Lord. Tasha Witherspoon, ministered to the children and the adults. Since it was such a young church, we are going back to minister to the men and women on purity (on Tuesday evening).

I got up at 4, intending to shower and wash my hair but there is no water!!!!!!!!! What kind of resort is this? Peggy had to move three times due to flooding in her room, hummm, that must be where all the water went??

So, my early rising gave way to pen some of the things that should be shared. I have tons of pictures but have to wait until I get to St Marc to upload them….another story that need not be told at this point.

We are looking forward to a great week, if I get my hair washed…………..be blessed!

Carolyn

No comments: