Wednesday, October 14, 2009

IT RAINED LAST NIGHT!

We were getting desperate. The heat and humidity was doing us in and all of a sudden thunder in the distance. Then lightening and more thunder, closer this time. Before we realized it a rain!! Beautiful, wonderful, cooling rain. Our night was easier for sleeping, and no sweating. We are blessed to always have a fan compared to the hundreds of Haitians who have no means of relief. Kevin said he sleeps on the bed a while, then the floor, then back on the bed. It is certain that whenever you complain there is someone who has it worse than you do. No wonder God got so angry with the Israelites and their complaining against Him!

Gary is on his way to Port today. It's mail day and he also will purchase paint for the school. It's time to put a new face on the walls. Not a cheap venture. Thanks to Nancy Hibbard who raised the money for this project.

Yesterday, Gary and I decided to go to the store about 4:30 PM and pick up peanut butter and a couple other things. I've said before, going to the store takes about an hour and most of that time is driving. Anyway, we went, were almost back home when the phone rang. The bunk beds for the orphanage were finished and needed to be picked up. So, we were on to the welding shop to get them. When I say it, what comes to your mind is not what it is. This shop is totally outside, welders wear sun glasses, each have their own particular job to do, all sit waiting for their special job. Located on a street near the electric company is "welding row", as I call it, because there is electricity there most of the time. ( I wonder if they pay a bill? Or tap into others' power? I'll vote on the second thought because it is the right answer).

As we rocked and bumped our way to the welding shop, we didn't consider the situation we'd have. Three sets of bunk beds, only one would fit in the truck. A tap tap driver spoke up, "I'll take the other two beds for you , for 100 Haitian." Gary said no, he'd give him 50. The guy said no, he wanted a hundred, so Gary said, too much, that he'd do it himself. As we fought traffic, the pot holes, people and dust all the way to MacDonald, I questioned why he didn't just give the guy the 100 dollars because this was going to take us hours, going back and forth. NO WAY! Said Gary. Too much! (One of the many differences between he and I is that the price of 100 H in my opinion is not too much to pay for convenience in a very inconvenient city----it would have been about 12.50 USD and the distance between the welding shop and orphanage is about five miles of long difficult driving………not too much, I say).

I was "COMPLAINING" about this taking us all night (exaggeration) Gary had a brilliant idea (maybe to shut me up?) and made a phone call to Yvesner, asking him if he'd mind using his truck to get one of the beds and that Gary would meet him at the welding ship and get the third one. Ahh, good idea Gary. It was still going to be at least two more hours before we would see home. (I decided rather than have my brains shaken from rocking back and forth in the truck on the second trip, to visit Bev and Barb while Gary made his second trip). When he got to the welding shop, the tap tap driver had both beds on his pick up truck. He said, "I'll deliver for 50." NOPE, I got my guy here who wil take one and I'll take the other. You lost the job by not accepting 50 on the first trip! So, the tap tap driver went away sad, Gary was glad and put one bed in his truck and one bed in Yvesner truck, and both lumbered to MacDonald. It was 8:30PM when we got home from out "trip to the store."

But! the orphan boys were thrilled with their bunk beds and Gary was able to go to Port this morning without having to think about beds on top of everything else he has to think about, I had a visit with Bev and Barb and it even rained last night!

No comments: