Thursday, September 24, 2009

YIKES!

As you know we moved the little ones out of the building we use for school to a new building. It's great but we are having a hard time getting organized so that we are flowing. It is still crazy! First of all we don't have the right chairs and are using adult chairs which is taking up more room than necessary and creating a lot of distraction. Secondly, the set up isn't right yet. Thirdly, I can't be there all the time and have to keep running back and forth between both buildings and the house, getting supplies, etc.

And then there is the pressure one puts on oneself. Am I such a controller that this happens or is it a desire to see things run smoothly as I know they can. I'm talking about naptime. The little children need to take a nap. Experience has been that unless I do it and set the example, it won't get done. So, example time has started. On Tuesday, I set the beds down (we have five, we need six more, anyone want to buy them?) told the staff that as soon as the little ones finished eating, they were to come and lay down. Some did and some wouldn't, so there I was, patting, holding, frowning, etc., until the criers succumbed to sleep. On Wednesday, the child that went right to sleep the first day, was having no part of it. He screamed, fought, and struggled against me for more than twenty minutes. I don't think he ever had to do anything one time in his short life. I won but was exhausted when I got home at the end of the school day. By next week, nap time will be routine. My staff think I'm strange but that part of me that says we will do what I know is right to do will not allow me to give into the lackadaisical approach to life. The thinking here is that little children cannot be taught but must be allowed to do what they want to do, then when they are six or seven, they are beaten for disobedience. How can we change that thinking?

We had a new little girl yesterday that cried and threw up and cried and cried. Now, I had compassion on her because she was totally petrified at having had to leave her mother. She's two, soon to be three. Another little girl pooped on the ground instead of the toilet. (Common because that's what they've always done and have to be taught to go on the toilet).

In spite of it all, we got through the day. The little ones got up from their nap happy as could be and now we get to do it all over again today.

I don't know if blogger got the picture deal fixed so I can place them on the blog or not, typing this in Word and can't apply pictures here. So, if I can get them on, I will and if I can't click the icon that says Facebook and you'll see all our pictures.

I got up early, have spent time with the Lord and ready to go again today. In my attempt to tell you about the day, I hope I've not made you think I'm complaining. There is no where else I'd rather be than here doing what we are doing.

Blessings!

Carolyn

No comments: