Thursday, March 19, 2009

Medical Team

This week we've been with Dr Mary Mikowski, Diana Moreno and Diana's daughter Alicia. It's been the best. They've doctored nearly 300 people in various places. Two days in St Marc, a day near Cite Soliel, a day in the mountains out of Montrouis and today they'll be back in that area but not as far out. Dr Mary is one of the most kind, thoughtful people I've been around. She's not willing to simply give vitamins and send them on their way, but takes time to diagnose and treat the problem. With Diana's assistance, they've made a huge difference in many lives. The pastors that we've worked with are so blessed they can hardly contain themselves. We chose pastors that never get noticed in the scheme of missions in Haiti. The "little guys" with simple churches. Amazing when they say, "This is a big blessing for me." Three of them are my Bible school students and never thought anyone would come to their church.
Yesterday, we had an hours climb after we got out of the truck. It was awesome. We were high above the river that flows into Montrouis. So, with the river gorge on one side and the mountain on the other, plus a narrow path, it was a bit for me to bite off and chew. At one point I had to completely face the mountain because had I even allowed the drop off to be part of my vision, I would have dropped off!!! Being the oldest in the group, I felt my having a little dizziness and being a little slower was forgiveable.
We saw lots of skin problems, and lots of old people. I think the people live longer in the mountain areas than they do in the city. There is so much to tell but I'm going to post pictures and let them talk to you. Have a blessed day!

No comments: