Monday, March 15, 2010

What a Day!

Monday's are always challenging are they not? Or maybe it's me, but every Monday is one that by the end of it, I'm glad it's over. Having said that, I also have to say it's been a good day, the word is hectic, I think. Challenging and hectic?

The team from Wisconsin, headed by Mark Grassman, had a great time going to the mountains with Nancy. They got there about 8PM on Friday night and returned to Port Sunday evening. Because they couldn't get a bus to come to St Marc, Gary went to Port to pick them up. Tired, hot and dirty, they got here about 8PM. I'd made tuna sandwiches, had some left over rice and beans, chips and that filled the void for them, although, Mark was attacked by diarrhea during the night. Was it the tuna? Or water on the mountain? Nancy said, "Surely not the water because they'd installed a water purifier." (Which was their biggest reason for going). Morning came a little too early for Mark! The two other men with him did what was planned for the morning which was to dismantle the old storage house out back so they can build a bigger, newer one. As we grow, we need more room. I still can't figure out why the Lord never provided the money to build on our property. We certainly could use a compound about now, with people and "stuff" in every conceivable corner of this house. I guess the answer to that would be whatever it is and my place is to be thankful for what we have, which is way more than those in Port. A solid roof over our heads as opposed to a tent roof.

School proved to be challenging as one teacher didn't show up and Cindy Rahl was taking her turn at the kindergarten class after Janice Myers did it last week. Since Hormise didn't come (due to a long bout of diarrhea, she and daughter both) I had to change my plans and be in the classroom. Oh dear! Those little ones! How many are there? Many! They seem to be everywhere. We've taken in several new ones since the earthquake, and the new ones are from Port. One little girl will not sit at the table, but we made her and then compassion took over and I sat with her. Her head came over on my lap and she seemed calm. What did she experience in the quake? Is she really traumatized or is she spoiled? Wading through that will take time I'm sure, but she did settle and became part of the group as the day wore on. So, having conquered that problem and Elizabeth working well with the children, I exited to the big school where I manned the testing room for the rest of the morning. That's an interesting place to be….doesn't take a lot of energy, just eyes everywhere making sure the kids don't cheat. And, grading which is even more interesting when you read that God is between the stars and the earth that's why the stars twinkle. Some of their answers can be quite amusing.

We had a teachers meeting at 12:30 which meant the children were dismissed at 12. That was another experience because I was back at the preschool, and what a noisy bunch during lunch. More work to do in getting transition times organized. Isn't there someone who has expertise in this field who can come and do the job right? Since they finished eating, I decided they should put their chairs away and sit on the floor. Chita la! Said I pointing to the floor, no one would move. Aww, come on kids, surely you understand my Kreyol! I finally did get them all to sit after barking the order several times only to find out that Haitian parents tell their children not to sit on the floor. (They are always on the floor as younger ones, but somehow the message is taught that as school children they shouldn't sit on the floor). FINALLY, it was time for them to file out and get on the bus only filing is not something they like to do, so struggle again getting them to each take a turn at the door without pushing and shoving.

Does it sound hectic yet? I came home to find everyone leaving their job because it was time to leave but the work was not completed. Madame Pierre was still sweeping (due to having to go to the market and making salad and potato salad) while the wash ladies said goodbye because their work was done. Another problem. How can you all leave her with so much left to do? Easy. Our work is done. But how can you simply leave? Then offense at my suggestion that Madame Pierre had more work than they had, blah, blah, blah.

Putting it simply, it's Monday. Tomorrow will go smoothly I'm sure. I think I'm sure. But, before tomorrow there is Oliver and Junior's hair that needs cut and they won't let me forget as it was supposed to have been done over the weekend. Plus, there is supper to get and a trunk with crafts in it to find.

We are blessed to have Mike Harrawood here from Family Harvest in Chicago (Tinley Park) but at this point I'm not sure what he's thinking he came to. This mission is moving faster than I can. God spoke to Gary's heart at Christmas and said, the mission is going to change, are you ready for ten more years. Pretty interesting considering what we are doing now compared to a year ago.


 

No comments: